Monday, August 01, 2005


I am a mom...and a wife...and a daughter...and a scrapbooker.

I would even say I am a fairly accomplished scrapbooker for the amount of time I actually dedicate to it. Having two toddlers kind of precludes me from having countless hours to dedicate to the craft. And I have been in a funk for the past two months.

I have been published and I am on several design teams - but for the past couple of months I have had no creative ideas of note. I think this is in large part becuase I allowed the expectation to exceed the importance. By that I mean that I was scrapping for the call and not myself. I was scrapping to fit the needs of every magazine and idea book that had a call out there - creating pages for a call rather than finding calls for the pages I created.

Where were my ideas...my feelings...my subjects - they were lost. Why on God's green earth was I scrapping about snow and winter nights when I lived in Alabama where it didn't get enough to make a snow marble let alone a snow man? My kids haven't seen a snow fall except for Junior during the one trip to Philadelphia when we got caught in a blizzard the day before we left to come home - but he doesn't remember it anyway.

Then it hit me..I was scrapping for the wrong reasons. So I pulled out my photos of my boys and looked through them. ALL of them...and I have a ton of them. I decided to not look and see what calls where coming up...and just pick some photos that really spoke to me. And this is what I came up with. Not bad...not my best...but certainly feeling my way out of this funk that has been suffocating me for months now.

Who knows...maybe I'll even create something worth submitting - but only if the call fits the page......

2 comments:

Helena said...

Good luck! I haven't done any layouts since my babe was born. (I've taken LOTS of pictures though...) I keep telling myself I really should get back into it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to have MORE time once she starts crawling around and getting into everything. Heh.

Anonymous said...

How old are your kids?

My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine too, so I have taken a few photos of his trains. That was a cute way to use them in a lay out.