Monday, August 01, 2005

books books books....

I am an avid sometimes rabid reader...I cannot put a good book down until I either fall asleep reading it or I am finished. I bought some rather wonderful books over the weekend at the local B&N. Now I am not much of a reviewer..but I'll give it a shot...

The first is "Creative Correction" by Lisa Whelchel. Yes she is the chick from the "Facts of Life" show in the 80's. She is also a wonderful author. This is the second book of hers that I have purchased and it has some great ideas in it. Junior is a bit obstinant...okay he is TOTALLY obstinant...so normal corrections don't seem to have any impact on him. In the past 3 days I have found this book invaluable.

We are in the throes of potty training and every mother who has done this knows how difficult it is. Well we are now accident free for the third day in a row. This accomplishment has lead the way to other difficulties though. He is finding other ways to get attention since we don't have "potty time" together anymore. It seems he cannot sit at a table and eat correctly for more than 5 minutes. So taking a suggestion from the book that the author used to correct her daughter from leaning back in a chair, we now make him stand at the table and eat if he cannot sit with us without getting up and running around. If he chooses to leave the table his plate gets taken away. I was amazed that he would catch on so quickly. It only took this happening at one meal over the weekend before he realized mommy was not joking and wouldn't tolerate it anymore. So...thanks Lisa Whelchel!!!!

The second book I got was "A Woman's Call to Prayer" by Elisabeth George. I also bought the companion workbook. This is a great book for those of us who are "prayer challenged" as I say it. You know you need to do it...you know how to do it...but how do you make it meaningful?? Usually I pray when I need something or want intercession on something. This book is making me realize that my entire committment to God needs to be reassessed and reconfigured. God is there to share in our joys as well as our times of need...I tend to forget that. Like a parent he wants to help us and support us...but he wants to be a constant part of our lives...not just in times of trouble and need.

The final book that I bought this weekend was "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver. You may think this is about Martha Stewart...but it goes back much further. It centers around the story of when Jesus visited two sisters - Mary and Martha. Martha worried about how the house was and how the food was and how the drink was...while Mary only sat with Jesus and listened to him. This is how we go through our days. We worry about our houses and our deeds and all the little things - all the little things that have no bearing on our salvation. We must worry about Him and what He has told us...and continues to tell us today. I can honestly tell you that if I died tomorrow I doubt that St. Peter at the gates is going to deny me due to unfinished laundry.

4 comments:

Craft Tea Lady said...

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World was one of the BEST Sunday School classes I have ever done in my life!

It's a great book. I have thought about browsing through it again, just recently.

You can check out my blog at -

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=CraftTeaLady

Helena said...

I've always wondered how the Mary and Martha story turned out. Did Martha stay and listen? Did they all go out for take-out? (See, if a woman had written the story, they would have included that information.)

Anonymous said...

Love the story of Mary & Martha..because Jesus says..."Martha Martha"....like he does me sometimes....I know he loves me but I know I make him shake his head and say "Darlene Darlene" like why do you do those things! *L*

msjonnalee said...

I am so Martha, I want to be mary so badly... I must get this book, thanks for posting about it