Thursday, July 26, 2007

Really??...you don't look that old.....

Yes...it is true..I am another year older. hopefully not middle aged....but then again....when I'm 80 I don't want that to be my "middle age" either.....

I got a beautiful necklace that was given to me by BD and designed for me by my friend Yoli who designs and makes jewelry. The piece of course has a history.....so I'll share that with you.

Many years ago BD and I worked with Yoli's husband on a contract in Nebraska. We knew him for about 7-8 years then we moved to Alabama in '02. Well in '05 her hubby called and was asking about the area and jobs and housing...only to find out that their youngest son was going to be going to school here!! They were looking to move to stay close by and was there anything we could tell them...well we did more than tell them...BD recommended him for a job with BD's company and they were moved here pretty quick.

Yoli and I became fast friends (partly because we are both looney tunes) and have a standing "date" for lunch and shopping every Wednesday when the TTs are in school. Yoli works at a bead store. I have gone in and helped with inventory and to just peruse the gems. I fell in love with Swarovski and pearls.

One day I was checking out the new items and there was the most wonderful mother of pearl cameo like nothing I had ever seen. It wasn't a true cameo in the sense that it was two toned and cut out...but it was more like a natural occurring relief in the pearl. It was amazing. I wanted it so badly...but it was not in my budget at the time. I would check on it every time I went into the store to make sure it was still there, and as luck would have it the day that I came in prepared to purchase it - it had already been sold and was gone. Figures.

Flash forward to my birthday....BD comes home and puts a string of pearls around my neck...I run to look in the mirror...and what do my eyes behold but *my* mother of pearl cameo!!! The strand is pearls and crystals (pink of course) and my cameo. A perfect pairing of demure and bling..just like me. Brazen enough..but also properly sedate. It is by far the most perfect piece of jewelry other than my wedding ring.


Without further ado...here is the new woman in my life...












Isn't she B-E-A-utiful????

1 comment:

Omaloriann said...

Very very pretty Shell. He did good!