Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Very cool webpage...

Stumbled across the Imagination Prompt Generator today. Very very cool prompter. In an effort to make my blog a little more interesting (since it seems I am boring people to death with my current ramblings) I will try to use this from time to time to get my creative juices flowing...like today.

Do you think real change can take place if there is resistance?

This is like an oxymoron. How can there be change if there is resistance? If taken literally, think about trying to change a resisting toddler. Does the change occur? Or are you left to waiting until they are ready for the change? It is the same in life. Can you really change if you are not open to it in the first place?

I need to lose weight. I complain about never being able to find clothes that fit, but do I stop eating ice cream? NO. Why? There is something in me that is just not willing to change yet. I don't know what it is, but I know it's there and it resists the attempts to change my habits. I will start to eat better and make an effort, then I just slide right back into what is familiar and comfortable. I know that I need to lose weight and if I don't there will be horrible consequences that I really don't want to have to deal with, but I still allow that resistance to stand in my path - why??

Sometimes resistance to change is external also. You can't control other people, yet other people influence your ability to change. Sometimes life is a very big catch 22. You will have the desire for change, then you hit a roadblock created by another person. Whether it be a friend, your significant other, your kids - someone stands in your way to reach change.

Change requires commitment. You can not have commitment if resistance is present. What are your thoughts on change? Do you have a change in your life you need to make but you have a roadblock in front of you? How can we remove those roadblocks? What can we do to help each other make the changes in our lives that we so desperately want?

No comments: