Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Have you ever felt like you must be in the movies?

And you just don't know it? That's how I have been feeling for the past few days. We are currently on vacation and it has been like an Griswald trip from the start. Are we really on our way to Wallyworld? Will it be closed when we get there? These are questions I hear my husband asking me while on the way to VA. We may not be on our way to Wallyworld, but if we get to Williamsburg and there is a sign on the gate that they're closed - I'm pulling a Clark - no questions asked. Should make for some interesting scrapbook pages anyways.

We set out on our little trek on Friday afternoon. Loaded 2 TTs, 2 beagles, and a howling cat in the van and headed north. We stopped for dinner about an hour in and everything was going pleasantly. Another hour in and we heard the first spew. There is nothing that sets fear in like the sound of puke in a fairly new vehicle going 70 on the interstate at night. As I'm yelling for the hubby to pull over he is trying to not get us killed. I'm trying to console the 2 year old who has just lost most of his last meal all over himself and his car seat. Poor guy has never been sick before so he didn't even know what hit him. I was able to get him calm enough for hubby to drive to the next exit so we could clean him up properly. We stopped at a great hotel who allowed us to use their facilities to get him and his seat cleaned up. I wish I could remember the name cause they were so accomodating.

We got back on the road and made many more pitstops along the way cleaning and changing, changing and cleaning, getting coffee. We eventually made it to Williamsburg by around 7am, but check-in wasn't until 3. We took a walk, took the kids to a lousy pancake house up the road (if you're in the area don't bother eating at Stack'em High), did some window shopping with the kids, and of course washed our laundry that had accumulated from the one night on the road. We finally got an early check in for an extra $15 (guess everything has it's price - wish we'd have known the price of this little bonus at about 7:15 this morning) and got the boys settled down enough to take a nap. The rest of the day was basically getting everything settled in and set up for the week.

The in-laws showed up about 3pm (perfect timing for regular check-in) and I unloaded their van into the trailer. I'm still trying to figure out how much stuff they needed to bring...we had less in our van of 4 people and 3 animals than they did in a van of 2 people. It's a mystery. BD tells me not to hurt my brain trying to figure it out, I beginning to believe him - it's not worth it.

Sunday we went shopping and that's about it. TT1 went swimming and was able to swim by himself (with his swim vest on) from one end of the pool to the other. TT2 had enough pool time after about 10 minutes.

Well that is act one of our show for this evening...act two will be at a later date...I'm getting the evil eye from the hubby...time for bed. Good night all................

3 comments:

Cami said...

Happy Road Tripping Griswalds! lol...our are like that too :D

Jen said...

Sounds like you are having an adventure already! LOL I can't believe that they charge you to check in early, though. I've never seen that before. At the hotel I work for, if your room is ready for you, you may check into it prior to the check-in time. If it isn't, you can't. That's been the policy everywhere I've stayed, too. Oh well! Have a good rest of your trip!

Unknown said...

What a time you're having.. hope the trip has some happy moments as well and think of all the great pages you can do from this.. :)