Thursday, August 11, 2005

SAHMs

A topic was posted on 2Peas regarding the time of a stay at home mom.....how a SAHM's time is not at the "same value" as other people's time. This strikes a ring of truth I must say.

I have noticed an influx of times where things are handed off to me to do simply because I am home with the kids so of course I must have the time to do them. Why do people assume that because you stay home with your children you have the time to do anything else? What are they smoking??? They obviously have never stayed home with their children.

My favorite was when I wanted to go to a scrapbooking retreat earlier this summer. Conversation went like this:

Me: "It's only for 2.5 days and it's only $100 and everything is included."

Him: "But I'd have the kids for 2.5 days without you"

Me: " That's kinda the point"

Him: "But they aren't good for me"

Me: "They aren't good for anyone so why should you be different?"

needless to say I did not attend said retreat.

This is a constant thing in my house ... people think that you have all the time in the world and nothing to fill it with. Let me tell you the two terrors fill that time pretty quickly ... most days I don't even get to sit down and eat anything until BD comes home.

I hate being late for appointments that I have told BD that I have and he needs to be home at a certain time ... then he shows up late ...

I hate having to take the kids to the store during the day ... or waiting until after they go to bed so I can go by mysel f.....

I hate having to explain why I can't do something for someone rather than just being allowed a straight veto ... for whatever reason ....

But I love my kids .... and I wouldn't trade them for anything ...


But I am willing to rent them out ....

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I work at home and get that a lot--that because of that, I should have tons of free time. It's just not the case. I enjoyed your post!